header

Thursday, August 22, 2013

BOOKANISTAS REVIEW: HYSTERIA By Megan Miranda


Sooo... scary really isn't my thing. I dig paranormal but I usually stay away from thrillers or any kind of novel that would throw the word horror into the description. But I had to read this one. I read Megan's debut novel, FRACTURE, a few years ago and loved it. She is definitely someone who keeps you on the edge or your seat. I wouldn't exactly describe HYSTERIA as a horror novel, but if they ever make it into a movie there will be a scene or two where I'll have to cover my eyes. Like, for real.
 Here's what Goodreads has to say:
 
Mallory killed her boyfriend, Brian. She can't remember the details of that night but everyone knows it was self-defense, so she isn't charged. But Mallory still feels Brian's presence in her life. Is it all in her head? Or is it something more? In desperate need of a fresh start, Mallory is sent to Monroe, a fancy prep school where no one knows her . . . or anything about her past. But the feeling follows her, as do her secrets. Then, one of her new classmates turns up dead. As suspicion falls on Mallory, she must find a way to remember the details of both deadly nights so she can prove her innocence-to herself and others.

In another riveting tale of life and death, Megan Miranda's masterful storytelling brings readers along for a ride to the edge of sanity and back again.


This book was intense. If you don't believe me check out the first few lines from chapter one: 

"My mother hid the knife block. In hindsight, that was the first sign. And then, two nights ago, she locked her bedroom door."

Like I said. Intense. The mood is set — dark and foreboding — and I was hooked. From the very beginning there is a feeling to this book. A sense that something isn't quite right. And yet I never doubted Mallory. I believed in her. And her best friend, Colleen. Everyone else? Not so sure.

I love the way Megan Miranda tells a story. She is poetic and real. Her first novel brought me to tears while I was riding on a train. And this one? Well... I didn't read it at night. That's for sure.

If you're looking for an awesomely well done psychological thriller, this is it. It will keep you reading.


~~

See what the other Bookanistas are raving about this week!





No comments:

Post a Comment