header

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Easily Distracted

Every once in a while I answer a photography question. I don't mean to. Usually these questions are directed at my husband. If you want to know anything technical about cameras, camera gear or photography ask him. He knows the answer. I, on the other hand, don't talk shop. And there's a reason for that. I don't pay attention to the technical stuff. It's not that I don't know the information. I just don't think about it. I'm too caught up in the story.

Yesterday was a big day here in Shariland. You see the new Tinker Bell movie came out. Number three.
We were all very excited. I've always loved Tinker Bell. I'm a huge Peter Pan fan. Read the book and loved the movie when I was a kid. I even made sure to snap a photo of the Peter Pan statue in Kensington Gardens when I took a trip to London a lifetime ago.
So after a very exciting jaunt to Target we unwrapped the movie and slipped it into the DVD player. We were not disappointed.
The movie was beautiful as always and as sweet as the rest of them. But I mostly enjoyed watching my daughter watch the movie.
If you could bottle innocence and awe I'd have a lifetime collection.
She doesn't just watch a movie she disappears into them. The scenes, the dialogue, the colors.
She is so much like me. She gets caught up in the story.
I wouldn't say I'm easily distracted. I can focus on a project like no other. But if there's a hint of a story brewing around me I'm lost forever.
Example:
Some people find it difficult to write with music or any other noise around them. They need silence. I find that certain music is very distracting. Music that is too story-telling, you know like country music or folk. Or Wilco, whatever category they fall into. I don't need other stories complicating my own.
But some music has a mood or feeling. And you all know my infatuation with feeling.
So finding the perfect mood music can be a bit of a struggle. Not only does it have to match what I'm working on but it has to inspire me. And sometimes it leads me somewhere I wasn't expecting. The story takes over, travels down a path I didn't even know existed. New characters pop up, the plot twists and suddenly I'm writing a completely different story.
This is why I don't outline.
Perhaps I am easily distracted.

No comments:

Post a Comment